Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Ramen again

Low- sodium camp meals are challenging. Ramen noodles, the mainstay of college students and backpackers, come with a flavor packet that is a sodium bomb. But Ramen is cheap, easy to find, and convenient to prepare, so it is worth some experimenting. Package instructions say to limit sodium by reducing the amount of flavor packet added to the pot. That gives a washed- out flavor that I don’t like; I have resorted to the following:
Add 1 C water, crushed noodles, and half of the flavor packet to pot. Bring slowly to boiling and set for 5 minutes. This yields full- strength flavor, but is not a soup… it’s noodles. Need more fluid? Make some tea.
Scrounging around the camp- yard for something to go in my Ramen, I was hoping to enhance the flavor but still keep down the sodium. I found a few collard leaves, a small turnip and one of those weeds that smells like onions. I started the chopped vegetables simmering in 1.5 C water and added the crushed noodles. Still using half of the flavor packet, I brought the mix back to a boil and set for 5 minutes. The flavor was good and the 1.5 cups of liquid was enough to be considered a soup.

No comments: