Thursday, January 31, 2008

Blood pressure: low- sodium living

Well, the doctor has threatened me again with medication for my blood pressure. I had made some effort since my last check- up, to get exercise more frequently and to watch my sodium intake. Although I have done both of those (kinda; sometimes), it has not been enough. I need to include more “aerobic” forms of exercise and need to be stricter about my sodium consumption. The good news is that my efforts seem to be paying off; pressure is almost down to what it should be. It looks like CampDaddy must continue paying more attention to Sodium content of foods. I have had some worry about leg cramps resulting from diminished electrolytes, though. Working and playing outdoors in the summer heat have given me trouble, before, with charlie- horses. Salty snacks and lots of water had helped with cramping muscles, but that was way too much sodium. Discussions over on WhiteBlaze forums have given me some ideas about warding off those potential issues: treating with quinine, even tonic water, seems to stop the cramps; increasing other electrolyte minerals, especially potassium, should offer some protection. So, CampDaddy will explore camp foods and trail snacks and beverages with reduced sodium, along with increased potassium and other minerals. The sodium problem is going to require some study and planning, especially with my camping foods. It seems everything that is convenient and quick is also loaded with sodium. Right off the bat, items that must be eliminated are:

Ramen noodles (at least drop the salt- bomb packet)
Pancake mix (substitute using Lo-Na biscuit mix)
Biscuit mix (work up my own Lo-Na version)
Stuffing mix (maybe I could dry and season cornbread crumbs or find a low- salt version).
Bouillon granules are high- Na, but there are some Lo- Na cubes (maybe I could crush or pre- dissolve)
Milk and cheese are Hi- Na but good protein and calcium sources... weigh pros and cons.

Although I get some walking- exercise, not much of it qualifies as “aerobic”. Googling for exercise recommendations, I found that I should try to get my pulse rate up to 120 for about 20 minutes. Recommendations are for aerobic workouts 3- 4 days per week, not every day, and once or twice per week is not enough. Warm up 5- 10 minutes at 50- 60% maximum heart rate. Exercise 20 minutes at 70- 80% of maximum and cool down 5- 10 minutes at 50- 60% maximum. As best I can figure, excercising heart rate for me should get up to 100- 122. I tried for that with some rapid walking, and it is not difficult to attain… I just need to consciously include some speed sections or uphills in my strolls.
Outdoor enjoyment should, itself, reduce stress and hypertension, so more playtime, too, should be just what the doctor ordered.

No comments: